Home > Blog > 2018 Home Organization New Year’s Resolutions
2018 Home Organization New Year’s Resolutions
During the early months of the New Year, is isn’t uncommon to make goals about the things you want to change in your life. Maybe they are wellness, fitness or financial goals, or maybe they are organization goals around the home. Try out these home organization tips for a more organized New Year!
Achieve Your 2018 Home Organization New Year’s Resolutions Using these Tips
- Declutter, Declutter, Declutter! If you have too many items in your home, it can be impossible to organize it. Items that you no longer use should be given away, sold or thrown out. While items that aren’t used often, or are seasonal, should be stored somewhere out of sight. To prevent your home from becoming too cluttered in the future, try implementing a 1:1 rule. For every item you bring into your home, get rid of one item.
- Get Your Family in on the Fun: It can be hard to stay motivated when you are the only person trying to achieve the goal. Even worse than that, when it comes to organization goals, if your family members aren’t involved, they may make things worse by not doing their part to put items away. Motivate your family to help you achieve your home organization goals. Something as simple as a special dinner after each room gets organized can go a long way.
- Break Large Goals into Smaller Steps: When you view a large goal as a whole, it can be extremely overwhelming. You may also be more likely to give up your goal because you think there’s just no way you’re going to accomplish it. Taking the time to break down a goal will make it feel more manageable. For example, if your goal is to have a more organized home in 2018, view each room as its own project. Tackling the project room by room will make it seem like a much less of a daunting task, and can be more rewarding with each room you finish.
- Set Timely Goals: When your goal doesn’t have a timeline, it’s easy to put off making the changes. Setting a timely goal ensures you won’t put off making the necessary changes and can help you to stay motivated. For example, as an extension of the goal above, decide you want to organize one room in your household every month.
- Make Sure Your Goals are Realistic: Ideally, you may want to have your entire home organized by the end of January, but that just isn’t practical. Setting unrealistic goals can hinder your ability to achieve your New Year’s Resolutions. To increase your chances of achieving your New Year’s Resolutions, set realistic goals.
Do You Just Need More Space?
Sometimes we just need more space. If your home is too cluttered, it can prevent your organization goals from going as planned. At Storage World, we have a variety of storage unit sizes, ranging from the 5×5 storage rental to the 15×30 storage rental. Is cutting back on extra expenses another part of your New Year’s Resolutions for 2018? Storage World also has storage unit specials and promotions! Contact us today!