Ensure your moving day goes as smoothly as possible with these moving tips from Storage World
When you’re planning on renting a moving truck and doing all the packing, loading and unloading yourself on your moving day, you need to make sure you’ve taken some proper steps to make your move as stress-free as possible. Hiring professional movers who sometimes take care of some of the packing, as well as all of the loading and unloading of your belongings, is a great option but it can also be an expensive one. Instead, many people opt to keep their costs low by enticing family and friends with food and beverages to help them on moving day.
Tips for Moving Day: How to Unload a Moving Truck
One of the most crucial steps to take when planning a move is to ensure you’re utilizing every square inch of the moving truck and that your boxes and furniture are well-protected while in transit. Make sure all of your moving supplies are on hand and everything is ready to go the day you rent your truck so you aren’t wasting time filling last-minute boxes.
If you properly packed your moving truck, large appliances were the first to go in, followed by furniture that had been evenly distributed throughout both sides of the truck. Then, boxes went in, with the heavier ones on the bottom. Fragile items were last to be packed, and empty spaces were filled with buffers like bags of clothing, linens, pillows or cushions.
So, how should you go about unpacking your moving truck to make moving into your new home easy? A few helpful moving day tips include:
- Map out rooms before unloading. Before you start unpacking the moving truck, go into your new home and take note of where items need to go. This way you’ll be able to easily direct your helpers into the right spot.
- Place boxes in the proper rooms immediately. Your boxes should all be labeled with the area of the home where they belong, so make sure everything is getting set down in the right place immediately. This will help you stay organized and able to find the things you need without any problems.
- Keep a clear pathway. Make sure there’s an open pathway clear of debris and boxes from the moving truck into the home. Protect your flooring with carpet remnants or taped-down plastic.
- Set up larger items first. Place boxes out of the way of furniture so you can set up beds, put together tables and dressers, etc.
- Install the appliances. Make sure your appliances weren’t dinged up in the move, then get them into their proper places and hooked up. If any appliances are gas-powered, let the professionals handle those later.
Tips for Moving Day: Essential Moving Tips for an Easy Moving Day
Preparation is key when it comes to planning a stress-free moving day. Start de-cluttering your home as soon as you’ve set your moving date so you can be sure you aren’t packing items you no longer use or need. If there are items you want to keep, but won’t have a designated spot for in your new home, rent a self-storage unit to keep these belongings safe until you need them.
A few other moving tips to keep you on track include reserving your rental truck in advance, mapping out the floor plan of your new home if possible, and purchasing all your moving supplies early on. Create an “open first” box full of essentials like toiletries, paper products and utensils, a change of clothing, and bedding.
Self-storage is a perfect option to ensure your moving day goes off without a hitch. If you’re planning a move, Storage World has three self-storage locations within the Atlanta area that can serve all of your storage needs. From standard storage units to climate control, Storage World has options that will keep your belongings safe and secure until you need to access them. Learn more by stopping by to check out one of our facilities today!