Home > Blog > Getting Rid of Clutter: Throw Out These 8 Items
Getting Rid of Clutter: Throw Out These 8 Items
Decluttering isn’t an easy task. Part of the reason people hold onto the items they no longer need is because they’re scared they will need them again. To help with this concern, we put together a list of the items that you should definitely get rid of when decluttering.
How to Get Rid of Clutter: Start with These Items
- Old Clothes: It’s hard to throw out clothes. Clothing can be expensive, and no matter how outdated the piece is, you remind yourself that it would be perfect for one particular event. This is not a good mindset to have, though, because it can lead to a very cluttered closet. Taking the time to comb through your closet and remove any items you haven’t warn in a while will result in a more organized closet.
- Old Medicine: Everyone’s medicine cabinet is filled with old prescriptions and outdated over the counter drugs that are no longer needed. If your medicine has expired, or you no longer need it, get rid of it. Not only is it not safe to have old medicine lying around, it also can result in some serious clutter. Be sure to follow DEA instructions when throwing out old medications.
- Mismatched Containers: Is your pantry and cupboards filled with mismatched containers you just can’t seem to find the lid to? Get rid of them. Recycle all lids that are recyclable and throw out the rest.
- Herbs, Spices Cans and Mixes You Never Use: If you have had cans of sweet potatoes in your cupboard for the past year and have not managed to use them, get rid of them. Items that have not expired can be donated to a local donation center or shelter.
- Old Trophies and Awards: If the award or trophy means something to you, skip this tip. If you still have your participation trophy from your 3rd grade soccer team, consider getting rid of it.
- Old Baby Items: If you’re done having kids, get rid of any unsentimental old toys, clothes and other baby items. These items can also be donated to a donation center or shelter.
- Old Receipts: Do you still have old receipts lying around from items you kept? Unless the receipt is needed for taxation purposes, or contains a warranty, get rid of your old receipts.
- Old Technology: What do we do when we get new technology to replace old technology? Well we hold onto the old technology just in case something happens to the new item. If you have had your new device for a year and haven’t had any issues with the performance, get rid of the old technology. This will help to clear up extra storage space.
A Storage Unit Rental Can Help with Decluttering
Some items may not be as easy to get rid of as the items listed above. If there are a few items that you want out of your home but are unable to fully part with the quite yet, consider storing them in a self storage unit. Storage World has storage units in Decatur, GA on Panthersville Rd and Flat Shoals Pkwy as well as Jonesboro, GA, ready to meet your storage needs. Our storage units range in sizes from small storage units to large storage units, perfect for any sized storage needs. Our self storage specials makes a storage rental with Storage World easy and affordable. Contact one of our self storage facilities today!