Moving out of a home you have lived in your entire life can be very stressful. But, your kids have moved out a long time ago, and the general upkeep of your home has gotten to be too much. If you’ve decided that you’re ready to move into a downsized home or assisted living facility, there are steps you can take to make the move less stressful. Use these tips for an easier transition into your downsized home.
Downsizing Tips for Seniors
- Choose a Home You’ll Be Excited About: Whether you are moving into an assisted living facility or simply a smaller home, choosing a new home you’ll be excited about will make the process that much easier.
- Plan Ahead and Start Early: The easiest way to keep the downsizing stress to a minimum is to start early. As soon as you start to think about downsizing homes, take baby steps to prepare for the move. Whether it is sorting through your possessions, packing or simply starting to get rid of unneeded items, every little bit will help to make the process as pain-free as possible.
- Enlist Help: Sorting through a lifetime of belongings is an enormous task, but you don’t have to go through it alone. Ask your kids, friends or other relatives for help. Your kids may even enjoy helping you sort through all of your old memories. As a reward to whoever helps you, consider letting them keep any items they are interested in.
- Start with the Easiest Room: As we said, sorting through a home worth of belongings is a very difficult task. Instead of jumping right into the most difficult room, work your way into this project by starting with an easier room.
- Create Keep, Giveaway and Throw Out Piles: When going through the rooms in your home, sort your belongings into keep, giveaway and throw out piles. If you’re up to it, you can also create a fourth pile labeled “sell”. Items in this pile can be sold in a garage sale.
Self Storage for Seniors
Even after giving away, selling and throwing out some unneeded items, you may still be left with too many items to fit in your downsized home. If this is the case, consider utilizing a storage unit. A storage unit rental is a smart way to keep items that will not fit in your downsized home out, but still in a safe and secure location.
Storage World has storage facilities in Jonesboro, GA, Stockbridge, GA and Decatur, GA. Our storage facilities have both traditional and climate controlled storage options. If you are storing more sensitive items, like pictures, leather or wooden furniture, musical instruments or collections, consider using a climate controlled storage unit. Contact us to rent a storage unit today!